Coconut oil is unique – solid at room temperature, but when heated it doesn’t break down and become rancid like most oils… and it smells yummy! Coconut oil has really taken the world by storm it seems; I am always seeing posts and photos about the benefits of coconut oil. This led me to do a little additional research on the topic because it is very interesting to me how something so simple can have so many unique benefits! So… here are a few of the benefits of coconut oil that I found.
1. Despite its high-saturated fat content, coconut oil can actually REDUCE CHOLESTEROL! How is that possible? Coconut oil has a type of saturated fat called lauric acid. Lauric acid is a type of MCT, which is the abbreviation for medium chain triglyceride. Lauric acid has been tested and shown to increase the “good” cholesterol in the blood!
2. Coconut oil can help aid in WEIGHT LOSS! It contains both short- and medium-chain fatty acids (like we talked about above) which help to take off excessive weight because they have been shown to boost metabolism. Woo hoo! Coconut oil can also reduce appetite (thanks again to those MCTs!).
3. Coconut oil can help with HEALING and PREVENT INFECTIONS! It amazes me that coconut oil is so versatile. When coconut oil is applied to infected areas, it forms a “layer” on the skin that will help protect the skin from bacteria and other yuckies in the air. According to the Coconut Research Center, coconut oil can even kill the viruses that cause the flu, measles, hepatitis, herpes and even SARS. You can also use coconut oil on fungi and yeast afflictions such as ringworm or athletes foot.
Those are just a few of the hundreds of benefits of coconut oil, but now I want to share some of the crazy cool ways you can use it!
1. Can be used as a shaving lotion
2. Can be used as a makeup remover
3. Can be used as a static reducer for hair
4. Can be applied directly to bruises to speed healing
5. Can be used for relief from bug bites
6. Can be used as a lip balm (it even has an SPF of 4!)
7. Can be mixed with sugar or sea salt to make an exfoliating cream
8. Can be used as an eye cream to reduce puffiness
9. Can be used to relieve symptoms of psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema
10. Can be used for sunburn relief
I hope you found this as interesting as I did and go try out some of these ideas! Share with me in a comment what your favorite way to use coconut oil is and share with your friends on social media!!! 🙂