As a stay at home Mom I would love to think I have it all figured out, but let’s be real we’re all flying by the seat of our pants. We’re busy, we’re tired, and sometimes we need a little help. Am I right?! One thing I have struggled with is snack time! I know its easy to grab a pre-packaged snack from the pantry, but I want my daughter to develop healthy habits. Also, let be real, I am on a health journey and would like to avoid extra temptations!
After some research and taking into consideration what I know about nutrition, I have compiled a list of 13 (quick) healthy snacks for toddlers (and Mom)!
- Smoothies- Kids love smoothies too, especially in the summer. It’s a super quick way to get a lot of dense nutrients into their diets.
- Fresh fruit- Always a favorite. I like to chop a lot of fruit up all at once so its easier/quicker when it comes to snack time. Remember to purchase what is in season for your area to reduce overall cost!
- Fresh veggies- Another easy snack to prep in advance, I love baby carrots because the work is done for me. Again, purchase what is in season for your area.
- Healthy baked goods (e.g., banana bread, zucchini muffins, etc.)- If you have some time (funny, I know) this is a great option as most baked goods will keep for several days. But be sure to purchase ingredients low in sugar.
- (Home made) Sweet potato chips- A great source of fiber and potassium.
- Nut butter and rice cakes- When in a pinch, add a little nut butter to a rice cake and off you go.
- Hard boiled eggs- Easy to prep and easy to take on the go!
- Hummus- You can have hummus with veggies, crackers, or pita bread. Now there is a variety of flavors to choose from, but be sure to read the nutrition label for hidden sugar! Or you could make you’re own.
- Jam and graham crackers- This snack is a little high in sugar but delicious in moderation. There are great natural options too, that don’t have ADDED sugars.
- Cucumber boats with yogurt sauce- I love this because it makes snack time fun! You can add whatever you would like to the boat yogurt sauce and hummus are my faves.
- Crackers topped with cranberries and (thin) apple slices- Here you can experiment, add what ever toppings you prefer. Literally, the options are endless!
- Quinoa and brown rice- This is another super quick and easy to make in bulk. I am telling you, your crock pot will be your best friend for this. Again, this is quick but not ideal on the go.
- Avocado- Either sliced on placed on crackers and rice cakes or smashed like guacamole to use for dipping!
I hope this list helps y’all with some ideas for healthy snacks for toddlers. Feel free to share your go to snacks in the comments!